Saturday, October 13, 2007

Much-maligned Barea shines

It’s too soon to say if JJ Barea is out of Avery Johnson’s doghouse, but the performance from the reserve point guard last night was definitely a step in the right direction. Barea was solid – even spectacular at times – during 28 ½ minutes against Chicago.

His 17 points were second on the team to Josh Howard’s 18 and his five assists were one shy of Devin Harris’s total. Johnson went so far as to categorize a pass from Barea on the break as “special.” For someone called out earlier in the week by his coach, the Puerto Rican Allen Iverson looked confident and in control.

“I love this offense,” Barea said. “The way he coaches this offense and the way he coaches me out there, I love the pick and rolls that he does. Our system is perfect for me. I’m enjoying it and trying to do my best every time out.”

No comments: