Monday, February 4, 2008

Mavs are magical in Orlando

ORLANDO – The Mavericks needed a new look and an old feel. They got both Monday night and a win to boot. Tweaking the starting lineup and bringing back a familiar rotation sparked an impressive 107-98 victory against Southeast Division-leading Orlando at Amway Arena.

The Mavs (32-15) concluded a swing through the Eastern Conference division leaders at 1-2, having regained some much-needed momentum in the finale. The losses at Boston and Detroit aren’t forgotten, but beating the Magic (31-19) is something to build on.

“This has been a tough trip for us,” said Mavs coach Avery Johnson, who congratulated each player as the team left the floor. “We thought we had a shot at winning that Boston game. … We weren’t very good in Detroit.

“So I just wanted to let the men know that I’m in their corner. I think I stood up more tonight than I ever stood up the whole season. I’m just letting them know that, ‘Hey, if we’re going to do down, I’m going to go down with them.’”

No comments: