Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Dirk: Community Assist Award for Dec. '07

As an unsure rookie trying to find his footing in a new land, Dirk Nowitzki formed a bond with Mavericks fans. Support formed the basis of the connection that’s grown through the years as he’s gone from that unsure rookie to MVP.

Nowitzki has never forgotten that bond and his support for his Texas home continues to grow. The recipient of the NBA’s Community Assist Award for December continues to give back. He does so with a smile and that’s all he hopes for in return.

“It’s important because we’ve all gotten a lot of support from the community over the years,” Nowitzki said. “I remember my first year when no one really knew me and I was coming off the bench and they were always cheering for me and always supporting me. Ever since then I’ve had a great relationship with the community, they embraced me and I embraced Dallas.”

For those reasons and many more, The Dirk Nowitzki Foundation was established to help promote education, health and well being for children around the world. Nowitzki’s foundation will receive a $5,000 donation from the league and he’ll be honored for the Community Assist Award before the Mavs-Nuggets game at American Airlines Center on Jan. 27.

“Anytime we have a chance to visit and meet people – people don’t see that we do a lot of that stuff, even after games,” said Nowitzki, who also won a Community Assist Award in 2004. “We meet people all the time and it’s great for us. If you just see a kid smile that makes your day.

“In November we lost a bunch of games and you come out there, and you see a kid smile at you and he’s so happy to meet you, it makes you forget about wins and losses. It’s been a special time so far in Dallas and I’ve been enjoying it.”

No comments: