Friday, October 19, 2007

Mark and Kym ready to Samba

Cha-cha? Check. Mambo? Check. Jive? Check? Waltz? Check. Samba? Tune in Monday night (ABC, 7 p.m. CT) as Mark Cuban and Kym Johnson get saucy, campy and a little silly for the newest installment of Dancing with the Stars.

Our favorite Cuban and Australian are alive in Week 5. Remember, once Mark and Kym are done, get your voting on. The call-in number to vote for Mark and Kym is 1-800-VOTE-411. You can call up to 11 times from any phone. You can also vote 10 times online at DWTS.

Mavs.com tracked down Mark before Friday’s dance practice in Dallas.

In your wildest dreams, did you think you would get this far?
I had no idea what to expect. I hoped I would and planned on working as hard as I could to go far. I think the difference, though, has been all the support from Texas and, in particular, Mavs Fans. I may not be the best dancer on the show, but no one has better support than I do, and that is half the challenge.

Do you remember the last time you worked this hard for something? What was it?
I always work hard. I’m used to that. Physically, I can’t remember being this sore all the time since playing rugby. But it’s a good sore.

Do you feel you’ve made more of a connection with people everywhere through Dancing with the Stars than any other venture you’ve been involved in?
No question. I’m hearing from fans of the show across the country that have connected with how hard I work, how much fun we are having or just like the show. It’s far different than the business world.
What did you or your body (i.e. hip) enjoy most about the waltz?
That it was very low impact and I had to glide and not jump. Now with the samba, it’s back to going up and down with lots of hip movement. So I’m back to being sore.

Any stage fright left?
Sure. There are no 20-second timeouts when you are dancing. You get one shot. That’s it. That can be nerve wracking.

What do you have in store for us in Week 5?
A fun, crazy samba. The samba is about having fun. We have a song from the 60s, so you are going to see us get very campy and silly.

We’ve asked you this before, but share your thoughts again on the support you’ve received.
It’s amazing. Half of my score is based on votes from fans. Mavs fans have come through for me. I can’t thank all of you enough. It’s amazing.

No comments: