Thursday, October 18, 2007

Dirk gets his work in

Don’t count Dirk Nowitzki among those who think the preseason is meaningless. He relishes any chance to get on the court, whether it’s practice, a pickup game or the NBA Finals.

He sure got a good sweat in going more than 37 minutes in Tuesday’s thrilling 101-99 win over the Kings. Yes, even for a preseason game, it was thrilling.

“It was definitely fun,” Nowitzki said. “They started off playing really hard and I think that’s a credit to their new coach [Reggie Theus]. I saw him before the game and he said ‘I’m trying to make this guys play hard all the time.’ He did. They defend a little better and come after you more, so I guess that triggered us playing hard.”

Nowitzki finished with 23 points, 13 rebounds, five assists, a steal and a block. That’s not your normal preseason line.

“It felt like this was a regular game for me,” he said. “I was a little winded in the first quarter. I felt like it was the fourth quarter. Once you get that first wind back, I felt good throughout the game. My jumper was a little short on a couple occasions.

“We’ve got four more games and a couple good tests. The schedule coming up now is a regular-season schedule, so that should be a good test. And then we’ve still got a good week to put some of the offense in and chart everything, and get ready for the big dance.”

Houston tonight is the first in a stretch of three games in four nights. The Mavs play their last three preseason games at American Airlines Center – Detroit tomorrow night, New Orleans on Sunday and Chicago on Tuesday. The real stuff gets started Halloween Night at Cleveland.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Mr. Garcia...I've just found your blog and I enjoy it very,very much. So how about giving a little dissertation on what you are doing here? Have you been hired by the mavs? Full time job, what?
If hired how do you see the pluses or minues of that. I can see one plus, this post.

I love this inside stuff about the players, only someone spending this much time with them can get this type of access. Keep it coming if possible.