Monday, March 3, 2008

Backing up Damp; Magloire debuts

Chief among Avery Johnson’s concerns, at least in relation to the bench, is finding a dependable body behind Erick Dampier. Jamaal Magloire, Malik Allen and Juwan Howard are the candidates.

“I’ve got to find a backup center, if it’s just for 10 minutes a night,” Johnson said. “Whomever it is.”

The job description is simple enough: Rebound and protect the paint. Magloire, a former All-Star and the only true center among the reserves, is confident he can do just that. In an effort to catch up, he recently bought a portable DVD player to watch extra film. He also makes sure to sit next to Howard on the bench.

“He’s been helping me with questions I have,” Magloire said. “Physically, I feel good. I’m working out twice a day. I’m just trying to get ready for whenever I’m called.”

He made his Mavs’ debut at the 4:07 mark of the first quarter against Utah. Magloire was inactive for his first two games and didn’t get off the bench in the Lakers’ loss.

No comments: