Thursday, November 22, 2007

Talking diet with Stackhouse

Up from my second tryptophan-induced nap today, I started thinking about food and diet and a recent conversation with Jerry Stackhouse popped into my head. We had just boarded the team plane on the way to California and Stack and I were catching up.

Even though the plane has a nice catered spread, many players elect to bring their own grub on board. The meal of choice for many is the Popeye’s around the corner from Love Field.

Stack, though, carried on an impressive sushi combo. If I remember correctly, he had salmon and tuna sashimi and a California roll. (I should know, he insisted I have some. Delicious.) Anyway, he started telling me about this book he’s reading, Skinny Bitch, and how it’s changed his eating habits.

No more red meat. No more chicken. (Fried chicken was one of his favorites.) No dairy products. No more of the comfort foods he grew up with in North Carolina. When his mom was in Dallas earlier this month for his birthday, she fixed this pork dish that I had never heard of and when Stack explained what it was (I can’t remember what it’s called), I had no desire to try it. And I eat anything.

So the basis of his new diet is whole grains, fruits and vegetables. He’s basically calling himself a vegetarian, though there’s still room for fish. Reading the above-mentioned book has opened his eyes on what certain foods do to the body.

As an elite athlete, Stack is looking for any edge to stay on top. Diet and exercise are as much of part of his routine as practice. But it’s also lifestyle change. Stack, 33, isn’t planning on pulling a Charles Barkley after he retires and ballooning up.

His goal is to remain healthy and fit for life. It’s a noble effort, especially for someone heavily involved in diabetes charities.

So as we’re finishing up our food talk, Gana Diop sits down in the row across the aisle. What does the 25-year-old pull out of his bag? Three big pieces of fried chicken from Popeye’s.

I’m almost hungry again.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

OMG!!!! That is TOO funny! That book is in my library. If you want to borrow a copy....:-)

Good stuff, Art!