Monday, October 22, 2007

Gana's free throw means day off

The scene didn’t quite resemble a game-winner, but Gana Diop was at the center of a celebration to close out today’s practice.

The entire team was standing on the baseline, except for Diop at the foul line. Avery Johnson issued a challenge: “If you make this one, we’re not going to have shootaround tomorrow.”

Swish.

“I’ll see you all at 5:15,” Johnson called out. So instead of meeting at AAC for a morning practice, the team has the entire day off until tomorrow night’s preseason finale against Chicago.

Diop figuratively pounded his chest when I asked if that was the most pressured free throw of his career.

“I make free throws any day of my life,” Diop deadpanned. “That’s what I do.”

Really? For the record, he knocks them down at a 51-percent clip. Dirk Nowitzki he’s not, but Diop made this one.

“He came through because I’ve never seen the guys hug him like they did,” Johnson quipped.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Art...This is another nice tidbit that a fan cannot get anywhere else.

I'm really, really enjoying your blog, I check back multiple times a day.

Hopefully more folks will find it.