Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Stating the Wright case

Antoine Wright doesn’t have much time to make a good impression, so the free-agent-to-be is making the most of what little time he has.

“You’d be dumb not to look at that, but you can’t really play for the future,” Wright said Tuesday after practice. “Really, you have to play for now, especially in my case.”

Wright making a case for more playing time, now or in seasons to come, isn’t the priority with the Mavericks fighting for playoff positioning in the rugged Western Conference. Wright, though, has caught Avery Johnson’s eye lately with his work ethic and in-game spark.

The third-year swingman has logged 45 minutes in the last three games, including 40 during the two-game winning streak the Mavs take into Wednesday night against Charlotte at American Airlines Center. In those 45 minutes – an NBA game is 48 – Wright has 20 points (8-of-15 shooting), nine rebounds, three assists and three turnovers.

“I have to continue to work,” Wright said. “I think I have to take advantage of practice days. Those are the days when a lot of guys are banged up [and] bruised up. I’m able to come out there and play hard and also see what I can do. I have to take advantage of each opportunity and I view practice as an opportunity, too.”

Read the rest of the report and a Bobcats’ preview at today’s notebook at mavs.com.

No comments: